Our Centre for Families
- Provide information and support to children with a hearing loss and their families to improve their knowledge and self-advocacy skills.
- Improve family support networks within the deaf community for parents and carers of children with a hearing loss.
- Provide accurate and unbiased information and resources to support families.
- Improve collaborative opportunities to work in partnership.
Continuing Professional Development
- Provide opportunities for professionals and families to improve their knowledge and expertise and skills.
- Improve the confidence and skills of families by improving their knowledge.
Children and Young people’s social wellbeing
- Provide opportunities for DHH children and young people to develop their practical knowledge and skills.
- Improve the confidence, emotional wellbeing and connectedness of children and young adults
In 2020, join us at:
- Family Network Group
WAFDC provides community support through our Family Network Group (FNG). Parents are invited to come along to information sessions designed to: improve knowledge to be able to make informed decisions regarding their child’s hearing loss; provide the skills to self-advocate; learn a skill; or to learn from an expert.
- Peer Mentoring
For Parents: WAFDC provides trained parent mentors who you can talk to about your child’s hearing loss and their experience as a parent, people who have been on a similar path. Parents supporting other parents.
For Children/Youth: Rock & Water, Resilient Doughnut and peer mentoring for young people. WAFDC provides structured training and skill development for children of different age groups to meet and participate in programs that build self-esteem, improve confidence and develop anti bullying strategies and skills.
- Other Programs and Activities