The West Australian Foundation for Deaf Children (Inc) was established in 1896 to improve the lives and education of Deaf and Hard of Hearing children in Western Australia.
In its infancy, the Foundation, based in Cottesloe, was the only facility catering to the education of Deaf children anywhere in the State. Following negotiations, the Department of Education assumed responsibility for the schooling of Deaf and Hard of Hearing children in the 1950’s and the Foundation’s focus changed to enhancing the educational opportunities of Deaf and Hard of Hearing children through advocacy and the provision of practical support, assistance and hostel accommodation. WAFDC has always focused on filling the unmet needs of this vulnerable community.
WAFDC hosts the WA Deaf Education History / Heritage Group.